A Senior Application Support Engineer to provide support to customers globally and technical advice to Application Support Engineers. The reporting line will be to Head of Application Support (based in London, UK).
· Work with other globally located support staff to balance the support workload and increase responsiveness to customers.
· Provide support for customers with a focus on working either UK hours or US East Coast hours. On occasions there is an expectation to work US East Coast hours.
· Work towards the timely (within agreed SLA) resolution of support issues arising from systems installed at Customer sites:
Investigate customer-reported issues via remote access to customer systems.
Gather sufficient, suitable evidence to allow further diagnosis by other staff members.
Perform data fixes or configuration changes to resolve issues or work around problems.
Keep detailed records of support issues and change request systems.
Test and apply fixes such as remedial scripts/patches and/or co-ordinate the application of patches through appropriate customer representatives.
Maintain an active and excellent working relationship with customers.
Develop a strong functional knowledge of the application and gain detailed understanding of the inner workings of the product suite and architecture.
Work closely with the Software Development and Application Consultants teams to highlight problems and raise change requests (CRs) that will eliminate/alleviate appropriate customer support issues.
Participate in regular support telephone conferences with Customers.
Be part of the Change Advisory Board helping prioritise Change Requests.
Undertake occasional travel (< 10%) to customer sites for the provision of on-site support or training. Some travel to the London office may be required.
Understand various other products and systems which work in conjunction(such as automated stores, liquid handlers and informatics systems) in use at customer sites.
Take responsibility for the maintenance of internal test systems which mimic customer installations.
Participate in process improvement activities within the support team, and other work such as documentation.
Provide Technical Training to Application Support and other teams.
Provide quality review and suggest process improvements for the Application Support team.
Assist in the recruitment of Application Support Engineers.
· 4+ years of experience in a customer facing application support role.
· Very strong SQL skills (Oracle preferred), creating views, functions/procedures. Understanding of performance problems, and ability to understand/debug PL/SQL or T-SQL code.
· Proficient with Windows (desktop/server).
· A strong understanding with sample management operations/systems or other relevant life science/bio-pharmaceutical industry experience.
Ability to diagnose & address application issues.
Complex problem solving.
· Ability to read and understand C# & .NET would be advantageous but not essential.
· Experience of using software solutions in the Lab would be advantageous but not essential.
· The ability to work well individually without the need for close supervision.
· Good internal and external verbal and written communication skills in English.
· Strong, excellent, proven customer relationship skills.
· A methodical work approach and strong prioritization skills.
· An excellent work ethic.