We are a successful laboratory software company that has been in operation for more than 30 years. The laboratories that are in our focus are those that perform a wide range of chemical analysis on samples using a combination of classic standard methods and modern sophisticated analytical instruments or analysers, which often are combined with automated liquid handling systems or robots. Today’s modern laboratories generate a large amount of data (the results of the analyses) and the value of this data is enormous - of the order of $1 Trillion pa. The laboratories using our products are typically in the Clinical, Pharmaceutical, Water, Environmental and Chemical sectors
The software comprises of applications that improve the quality of data, and the efficiency of producing and managing it, which in turn helps reduce the cost of generation, speeds result reporting, reduces errors and helps meet regulatory compliance etc.)
One of the products is a software application that manages the quality of analytical data. It is used widely in the UK, especially in Clinical Laboratories and Water Companies. Sales are increasing steadily in continental Europe and we have the intention of ultimately selling it globally.
The application typically runs in laboratory-wide, multi-user configurations on corporate SQL Server or Oracle databases. It can also be associated with a single Instrument PC running with SQL Server Express.
The algorithms embedded in the application use statistical techniques to ensure that the analysis performed by the labs is being performed correctly. Statistical methods are also used in an add-on module which calculates Analytical Uncertainty of Measurement.
There are some architectural changes necessary to improve the product and reduce support tickets as it exists now. However much wider possibilities will open up as we embark on a longer-term project to develop a web version of the application. This would allow an easier and less expensive remote implementation, and open up many more opportunities if it can be delivered as software as a service. The job holder would be expected to play the key role in this transformation.
Your role will be the main Technical Software Development Lead
- To get the required depth of product and application understanding, you will get involved in implementations of the product either remotely, or occasionally on customer sites.
- Occasional third level Support where immediate code changes may be required
- This period will also include being involved in developing:
- Product extensions required by customers
- Developing bug fixes alongside the support team
- Improving the system stability and database performance
- Taking the lead in development, testing and quality activities.
As knowledge of product grows and confidence builds:
- Take responsibility for the periodic (at least) annual version releases of the product
- More time to be spent on design and development of enhancements and improvements to the system.
- Be the lead developer in transforming to a web-based version.
To perform this role you will work closely with the wider company team, and specifically with the Product Manager.
- Flexibility around home/office working
- Occasional site visits
- A 2.1 or better from a good university in a science or mathematically-based subject
- At least 3 years’ experience with a .NET language and Visual Studio
- Excellent knowledge of object-oriented programming principles
- At least 3 years’ experience of SQL
- Good knowledge of SQL Server and/or Oracle databases
- Ability to travel to customer sites as required
- Current Passport and Driving Licence
Beneficial but not Essential
- Software testing experience (including automated Unit Testing)
- Project Management skills
- Understanding the statistical basis of quality control and uncertainty of measurement
- Experience of dealing with Corporate IT Departments
- Experience with software support
- Experience with onsite fee earning work
- Knowledge of Analytical laboratories
- Knowledge of LIMS